Friday, July 20, 2007

Smiley and Spacey.......

I headed off to Target last night with Kali 0.5 to go pick up a few things: formula, baby veggies/fruit, and some food for the adults in the house. It took awhile to wander around and get everything, but we took care of business as best as we could.

We paid for the stuff, got it all sacked up and headed outside. Kali was a bit fussy and ready to get home. I quickly turned on her Baby Einstein DVD that shows farm animals and she was happy again. She loves her Baby Einstein DVD's.

We got home and pulled into the garage. I went around to open the door and take the shopping bags inside. Only one problem........there were no shopping bags in the car. In my rush to take care of a fussy Kali by getting her in the car and getting her video going, I had totally forgotten to actually take my stuff out of the shopping cart and put it in the car. Ummmmm......oops!

Back into the driver seat and we're heading back to Target to pick up our stuff that we bought 10 minutes ago. I pulled up into the parking lot and my shopping cart with the baby food and other assorted things was nowhere to be found. I headed inside to see if anyone had found it and brought it inside. As we were walking into the store, I wasn't paying much attention, but I barely noticed a man saying, "What a cute smile!".

I didn't think much of it, but a few seconds later, I heard the same man talking to his friend across the parking lot. He asked his friend, "Did you see the smile on that girl?"

Not to my surprise, I looked down in the car seat I was carrying to find Kali grinning from ear to ear. Little Miss Sunshine had struck again, wooing yet another person with a simple flash of a smile.

I went to the service desk and saw that our bags were on the counter. I was quite happy and noted to Kali that she wasn't going to starve since they had found her food. She giggled, knowing that peaches were soon to come. The girl at the customer service desk had other thoughts on the situation. When I said that was my stuff, her first comment was, "I'm just glad I didn't have to throw away those perfectly good frozen pizzas!"

We headed back out to the parking lot and I loaded the baby AND the bags into the car this time. As I was doing so, I heard someone trying to get my attention behind me.

Lady: Psssst! Psssst!

Me: Hello.

Lady: Did you forget some bags in a shopping cart?

Me: Yes, I did.

Lady: I thought that you might have been distracted by a baby. I noticed the baby food and that was my first thought.

Me: Yes, my daughter has a way of distracting me. Thanks for finding the bags and taking them inside.

Lady: No problem. Glad you found them.

So, through all my spaced-out behavior, I still managed to get everything I needed. Additionally, if I would have remembered those bags in the first place, Kali would have never had the opportunity to charm the pants off that guy and we would have never met the nice lady that saved the peaches and formula for Kali. So I'm glad I forgot it in the first place.