Saturday, August 29, 2009

Do you remember?

Kali 2.6 and I sat down in the living room. She's got a memory game that has various animals that you can flip over the cards and try to match more than your opponents. Kali has just been playing around and reading the cards and what animal each card had on it.

Today, I decided to teach her how to use the cards to play a game. I showed her how you flip over two cards and if they match, you get to keep them. I tried to help out Kali a bit. In the first game, I'd point to a card if she flipped over an animal that we had already seen somewhere else. She was pretty excited to match them up. But generally, she kept flipping over the same cards instead of looking for new matches.

Then a funny thing happened. We started a second game. If Kali flipped up a card where we had already seen its match, I'd stop her and ask her if she remembered where the matching pair was. The first time I did that, she stopped and was obviously thinking about it. Then she picked the matching card out of about 40 cards. I laughed because I was so surprised to see her catch on so quickly.

And then she did it again.

And again.

She beat me in her second game of memory. The only assistance I provided was to stop her and tell her that we had already seen its match so she'd think about it. Otherwise, it was all her. It was pretty amazing. It was like playing against a good poker player who would pretend to play badly initially and then proceed to take back all the money on the table.

As I write this, Kali is begging me to come over and play memory with her again. In summary for those who may be asked to play memory by Kali in the future, no need to take it easy. She's likely going to beat you without any consideration for your feelings or ego. But at least she'll flash a cute smile at you when the bloodbath is complete.