Friday, August 28, 2009

Playtime with Kali 2.6.........

Earlier this week, I decided spur of the moment to take Kali to Worlds of Fun for a couple of hours to play around. Kali was all fired up and ready to go. So we made the five minute drive over to the amusement part and arrived........to see an empty parking lot. Yours truly had forgot to note that the park was no longer operating during the week thanks to school starting back up.

While I'm extremely fortunate to have a daughter who has a fantastic temperment, she was none too happy that Daddy was now driving out of the parking lot away from the big roller coasters. She wasn't throwing a fit by any means, but she was giving Daddy a full dress-down on why we were leaving Worlds of Fun no sooner than we had arrived. I went into Henry Kissinger mode and negotiated a truce. We were headed to the playground in the area.

All was forgiven when we arrived to see the big slides and climbing walls. Kali and I went up the ladders and down the slides over and over and over again. Tons of energy in that girl. I hung with her as best as I could for a 30-something dad. After 15 minutes, a couple of kids and their mom showed up at the playground.

The mom was probably younger than me, but her kids were older than mine by a few years. The kids were climbing all over the place, but their mom just sat on the bench. She was overweight and was texting on the bench. She seemed totally disinterested in what her kids were doing.

I'll fully admit that I'm a kid at heart (or some might say I've never fully grown up), but I don't get why someone comes to the park with their kid and doesn't play with them. I like slides. I like climbing. Kali likes both as well. Why would you not do things with your kid, including playing?

Regardless, Kali and I had a lot of fun, but I think both of us slept well that night. It's not easy being a kid.