Thursday, March 01, 2007

The breast milk diaries.......

Kali 0.1 woke up around 8:30 pm as she usually does, ready to eat before falling to sleep for the night. I took her up to change her diaper. It felt like a lead weight when I took it off. She obviously had wet that diaper a few times over while she was sleeping. I told her a few jokes while she was on the changing table. She laughed a couple of times, so obviously my jokes are pretty good.

Took Kali back down to Mrs. Lime. She fed for over 30 minutes. Great news for us because when she feeds a lot right before bedtime, we usually only have one wake up call during the night. Mrs. Lime wanted me to change the diaper again, so I headed back up for another diaper change.

We headed back up to the changing table. Took off the original diaper and just as I grabbed a new diaper, I heard the sound of something coming out of the wrong end of a baby. I quickly put the diaper underneath her. I looked up and she was smiling at me, obviously amused by my hurried motions. Thankfully, I got that diaper under there, because she proceeded to drop a huge mess on the diaper, wearing a smile the entire time.

After disposing of the dirty diaper that wasn't even worn, I put a new diaper back on and headed back downstairs. Mrs. Lime was eating some food, so I entertained Kali in the meanwhile. She wasn't laughing at my jokes as I talked with her, though she had a look of concentration on her face. I quickly found out that it wasn't a look of concentration, but rather worry. She suddenly squinted and proceeded to deposit an ounce or two of breast milk on her outfit and my clothes as well.

So we headed up for another visit to the changing table. Diaper had to be swapped out again as it caught part of the spit-up. I tossed Kali's clothes as well as my shirt into the dirty clothes hamper and got out a new outfit for her. With everything back in order, we headed back downstairs.

After having spit-up some of her late night dinner, she suddenly began to make sucking noises and stick out her tongue. That's the calling card that she's hungry. After losing some of her dinner, she was ready for a refill before heading to sleep. There was only one problem. After shedding my spit-up covered shirt during the latest diaper change, my child was suddenly getting some grand ideas. She was looking at my chest and was ready to breast-feed on Dad! I quickly handed Kali off to Mrs. Lime and informed Kali that she would be quite disappointed with my milk output. She happily headed over to Mom and fell asleep after refilling.