Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Signs a mechanic isn't reliable, Volume 2.......

I was driving through the city yesterday on the way to pick up my laptop computer after some warranty work. Great day to be out and about as it was 75 and cloudy. Perfect convertible weather. You have the benefit of a great temperature while not having full sunlight to cook your head. Yes, I'm losing my hair and it's a good way to burn the top of my head. Soon I'll just buzz that hair off, making it very easy to apply sunscreen to the top of my head so I won't have to worry about baking my dome anymore.

As I drove down the highway, I notice a truck on the side of the road with its hood up. Obviously he's having engine troubles of some sort. As I get closer, I notice that the guy standing on the side of the road is actually wearing a work shirt. This guy is a mechanic! Better yet, as I get closer, I quickly realize that the truck is a work truck for an auto garage in the area!

Now I'm no genius, but I do have multiple degrees in business-related fields along with a masters degree in common sense. I'm thinking the last thing you want to have happen if you're an auto garage owner is to have one of your trucks with your garage name plastered on the side of the vehicle break down on the side of one of the busiest interstates in the midwest. I'm thinking that mechanic and his broken-down truck drummed up a lot of business for every other garage but the one he worked for in the time he sat on the side of that road. I'll file this incident away in my file of 'things that I should remember when starting a business'.